Level A - LSW (Licensed Social Worker) License


This entry-level license requires a BSW (Bachelor's degree in Social Work) from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited social work program, passage of the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Basic level state social work examination, completed application, and appropriate fee. If the applicant is or has ever been licensed in another state as a social worker, verification of licensure in good standing is required from the applicable State Social Work Board(s).

Temporary licensees may apply for the Level A Regular License by successfully completing mandatory four-years of provisions as set forth in the Legislative Rule §25-CSR-1; these provisions are also included in the Professional Manual for Licensed Social Workers Temporary section.

§30-30-15. Scope of practice for a Social Worker.

(a) A licensed social worker may perform all duties within the scope of practice of a provisional social worker as well as:

  1. Apply social work theory, knowledge, methods, ethics and the professional use of self in social work practice including assessment, planning, intervention, counseling, evaluation, and case management supervision;

  2. Provide social advocacy activities, designed to influence social service systems and social policies in the direction of reduced disparities in social and distributive justice, especially for at risk and socially or economically disadvantaged populations;
  3. Community organization activities, designed to assist client systems at the community level to achieve desirable social or policy change toward goals of enhanced civic functioning and improved environmental responsiveness to client quality of life issues;
  4. Administration and program development, designed to develop, structure and, oversee social service systems at the organizational level; and
  5. Training activities, designed to assist clients or client systems with skill development deemed desirable to restore or enhance social functioning or adaptation; or, to assist less experienced social workers with professional skill development.

(b) A licensed social worker with a baccalaureate degree or master's degree in social work from a program accredited by the council on social work education and two years of experience, may supervise a provisionally licensed social worker.

To apply for a Level A - LSW License:

Follow the instructions on our Applications page.