Temporary Permit


The Permit License is a valid license to perform social work in West Virginia while preparing to sit for the appropriate level ASWB exam. The Provisional Permit License holder must attempt the exam under the permit issued to them; it is provisional pending passage of examination. Upon passage of examination, he/she will be eligible for a Regular License.

This is a temporary license for applicants who have never taken the state social work exam and hold a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited degree in social work (BSW or MSW) - OR - are enrolled in their final semester prior to graduation leading to their degree in social work. An accredited social work program is one that is either accredited by the CSWE, or, in candidacy status with CSWE at the time of graduation.

Why is the license “temporary”? The Social Work Permit is issued for six (6) months with the stipulation that the licensee must attempt the state social work examination prior to the expiration date indicated on the Social Work Permit. Upon successful passage of the state social work examination, completion of the degree, and submission of all required application materials and completed official college transcript, the permit holder will be issued a Regular License at the appropriate level. A permit holder is not required to have supervision or earn continuing education credits.

To apply for a Temporary Permit:

Due to recent revisions within the WV Code for social workers, this item must be issued by Board staff upon receipt of a written request. Include the name of the applicant, mailing address, daytime or cell phone number, e-mail address (optional), academic degree major, accredited university name and date of graduation. The written request may be sent by e-mail, fax, or mail to the:

WV Board of Social Work
PO Box 5459
Charleston, WV 25361

Fax: 304-400-4976

Send an e-mail with the above information to: admin@wvsocialworkboard.org.